The RoseCup has been developed in Australia and is a TGA registered, Class 1 Medical Device. It has been designed to assist with access to nutrition and hydration for anyone struggling with feeding and swallowing or who has been diagnosed with dysphagia.
The RoseCup is designed to use with your preferred selection of attachments.
The attachments provide different levels of control for you while using your RoseCup with thickened liquids. We recommend you use thickened meals with the RoseCup.
Spill-proof when fitted with a lid and an attachment.
Uses the sucking reflex to assist with swallowing.
Able to be used in different positions.
Designed to minimise head tilting.
Adaptable through attachment selection to suit individual need and preference.
Easy to clean.
You can use your RoseCup with your own thickened liquids/meals.
RoseCup design specifications
RoseCup technical data
1. Handles & Stability
2. The Back Handle
4. Breathing Hole
5. Personal Information Tab
6. Screw-type Mount
7. Soft Spout Ergonomics 1
8. Soft Spout Ergonomics 2
9. Soft Spout Ergonomics 3
10. Soft Spout Ergonomics 4
11. Exit Channel Ergonomics 1
12. Exit Channel Ergonomics 2
The RoseCup provides volume control of your meal when used with the Soft Spout attachments. This occurs because you need to suck on the soft spout to release the liquid. Each time you do this only a limited amount of liquid is released into your mouth. This function prevents a continuous flow of liquid, allowing you to control the amount of fluid you take each time - reducing the risk of choking.
How does it work? The spouts have been designed to hold 3ml of thickened fluid within the spout bulb. When the bulb is compressed, the base is blocked by the tip of the tongue allowing only the content of the bulb to be delivered onto the tongue. The valve closes after the suck-cycle (restores to “hole-only” state) and no further liquid should escape from the device.
The controlled delivery limits the volume of liquid per suck-cycle to 3ml. Having to pause and then suck again before more liquid is released helps to safeguard the airways.
It is recommended that you regularly check your soft spout is working correctly before use. This can also be monitored by a carer.
When used with the Soft Spout attachments the RoseCup assists with the process of swallowing your thickened liquid meal.
How does it do this? It creates a reflex movement of the muscles within the mouth and throat for improved swallowing. This is best demonstrated by babies that can lay flat on the back and drink a bottle of milk or water without choking - on the condition that they suck the spout before they swallow and is NOT fed with a spoon or a cup
If the swallowing mechanism in dysphagia is initiated by the suck reflex, the swallow mechanism is much more likely to be effective and complete than with traditional feeding methods. We also suspect that the reflex link between suck and swallow is so strong, that suck-initiated swallowing, likely constitutes the strongest reassurance against pharyngeal accumulations with its associated aspiration risks.
Easy clean instructions
- Screw off the lid and attachments.
- Rinse the RoseCup and attachments thoroughly and wash with luke warm soapy water. For best result use the Cleaning brushes that is available to purchase on our website. The bigger brush is specifically chosen to easy clean the bigger openings of the cup. The small brush easily reach the smaller openings of the attachments and the spouts.
- The RoseCup is residential and commercial dishwashers safe. Tested at 88degrees Celsius.
- If further cleaning or sterilisation is required it can also be placed in Milton after it has been cleaned.
Instructions and safety check for RoseCup use
Before every use:
- Do an inspection of the components of the Cup.
- Ensure that the Cup is clean and dry.
- Check the valve (cross incision) at the end of the green and purple spouts and ensure that all 4 slots are open (NOT stuck together).
- The cups must be mobile. Ensure that in the relaxed position the 4 cups rest tightly against each other forming an even edge around the central hole. This is important to maintain safety and ensure sufficient flow.
How to choose your products
Perhaps you have already been diagnosed by a Speech Pathologist and they have made recommendations for you. You can choose a meal thickness and Soft Spout attachment to match their recommendations.
If you are unsure which thickness level and RoseCup attachment to use, you can take our quick questionnaire here.